What a Class!!!

What a Class!!!
Some Cuties!

Welcome!

I hope that you will enjoy the site, as I take you on a journey with me to the ends of the earth.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Arrived

Wow... what a plain ride it was the last couple of days! I cannot believe that I am here, half way across the world! While the journey was long, it was well worth the wait and stress! I arrived this morning around 5am, came to the house and slept :) Once I arrived in Kuwait... I knew that I was not in Kansas. I was the only white person in the airport and on the last leg of the trip. I am so glad that Kristen gave me the Salwar. When I saw the ladies dressed in a burqua... it was a sight of beauty, grace and pain all at the same time. The way they walked was as if they were floating along the ground. They walked with such poise and strength that it was breath-taking. However, it was painful to know that they are hidden behind a veil among the masses of black and white shadows. At the same time, it is my American perspective. If the veil is all that one knew, the suffocating mask would be nothing more than average. It is difficult for me to understand either way!
This place that I am staying is better than any other place I have stayed overseas! I have a huge room complete with dressers and a bed and even my own bathroom! I don't know what else to say except that I feel very fortunate to have such wonderful housing arrangements! They even gave me clothes that can wear until I buy my own. There is this one outfit that is so pretty, its dark brownish purple with cream and lighter brown down the center with tropical flower print.
For lunch today, the cook made tomato soup and grilled cheese, cha-ching (although the tomato soup tasted kinda like bacon) But none the less, amazing comfort food. Oh and did you know that they had peanut butter here? Yea thats right... who would have thought? I brought two jars with me just in case. I think I will stick with the preserved stuff just cause :) Today, I am going to go to a basket ball game at the school and then to dinner at a British club, should be very exciting. Hopefully I can stay awake past eight to go! Tomorrow, I will go to the school and visit. I am very anxious to meet my class.

I just wanted to let you all know, I arrived safely and I will write again in a few days!

Love
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, It is so good to read your first post from your new home for the next several months. I look forward to following you in the adventures and learning experiences there. Thanks for being so detailed!! Mrs. Fledderjohann

    ReplyDelete