What a Class!!!

What a Class!!!
Some Cuties!

Welcome!

I hope that you will enjoy the site, as I take you on a journey with me to the ends of the earth.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Visit to the Village

I had a wonderful opprotunity to go and visit a village that is an hour away from my city. Several middle school girls a seventh grade boy and one ninth grade boy along with Madam all went in the school van to the PlayPlace for poor village children. It was began by a woman by the name of Mrs. Bower (sp) Her husband was working for a fabric company which was the second leading employment provider in this country besides the government. Since there are NO playgrounds in the country (besides the school), she decided that it would (SICK I JUST SMASHED A MISQUITO AND IT BLEED ALL OVER MY HAND, IT PROBABLY WAS MY BLOOD IN ITS BELLY) be a good idea to create a palace for these children to play. So she brought in playground equipment and it is still there today after many many many years. She then also started art classes for the children and reading clubs. Eventually she gave the place over to some NGO's. She has also written several children's books. Anyway after 30 years or so, she returned for one of the last times. She asked that some children from the school come and put on a short program for them. So I got invited and we went. One student did Tae Kwon Do for them. Another told a national funny story and the other student did a traditional dance (I got it on video...) The kids loved it and the students did wonderful! Anyway, to say the least, I had a joy today playing with the children and being out in the village.

SIDE NOTES
- did you know that cockroaches only fly when they are mating?
- did you know that two weeks out of the year, flying termites come and invade this country (guess what time of year? March!) Apparently, they eventually loose their wings and die. The people here told me that I will see wings everywhere and their black bodies close by. They said as long as I keep my doors closed, no problem... sure right.. thats what they want me to think... really I am going to be eaten a live by things that are supposed to eat wood and NOT fly, but these are super bugs I tell you!!!

Well good night... dont let the termites bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment