What a Class!!!

What a Class!!!
Some Cuties!

Welcome!

I hope that you will enjoy the site, as I take you on a journey with me to the ends of the earth.

Monday, February 22, 2010

A Mesh of Things

A lot has gone on in the last couple of days. I will start with Saturday. In the wee hours of the morning I got reading to attend the staff picnic. I put on my new outfit that I had got from the tailor. The Chemise (top) is a deep purply red color with a very small dark blue pattern in it. Together it looks like an even deeper purple. The sleeves have a strip of white silk that has silver specs in it. The neckline I drew myself. Kinda wavy to that creates a V neck. It is lined with one string of silver sequence. The Shalwar (pants) is made from the same fabric that the trim of the sleeves are. The pants are baggy and tie at the waist. My Orna (the shawl over my shoulders) is white with a flower pattern sown into it. The center of each flower has a silver bead in it. Then I did my make-up like a native with eye liner that swoops out to the side of my face (just to the end of the eyebrow). I added purple eyeshadow. Then I squeezed on the bangles that I bought which were purple and silver. I pulled back my hair cause I knew that it would be hot.
Alexis and I took a baby-taxi to the school so that we could leave by 7:30am. We arrived on time. However, in native time it was more like 8. The women all came in their best clothes and the men in their nice shirt and pants. We all climbed into the two buses that were waiting for us. The buses were interesting to say the least. The seats were WAY too close for comfort (made for small people). The ceiling had lamps for the night time. It was like the type of lamp you would see in a house over the dinner table. The bus driver started the bus and it roared to life. We pulled out into traffic. I looked at the door of the buss s and it was WIDE OPEN. I looked a Alexis who was sitting right next to me and explained that they needed to shut the door. Apparently, in this country they do not close them. Rather they have a man who stands at the door the whole time (kinda like a conductor) He is there so that when we stop people do think that it is the city bus. Anyway we continued down the road to our destination that was two hours away (I know, that for for a picnic?) Yes, two hours away was a tea garden that we were going to. Most of the way was paved until we spilt and went down a smaller path that would only allow one car at a time let a lone a bus going one way and a car coming the other way. The road was so bumpy that since I and Alexis were in the back, we literally flew into the ceiling. When we came back down, our seat was off the chair. It was like a roller coaster. Then several minutes later, all of a sudden the bus was going into the rice patties that were on either side of the road. Apparently a portion of the road was blown out and they were trying to fit it. So into the rice patties the buss went trying not to get stuck. Finally we reached the tea garden. It was so beautiful. We were by a small lake with lots of trees and places to run and play. The gardens were rows and rows of short little bushed. It reminded me of a vineyard but with tea bushes. We played games and had a wonderful meal. I got a picture! The food was truly spicy that my nose was running and Alexis found a chili that was as long as her hand from tip to the bottom of her palm in her rice. They also had chicken, salsa, veggies, and another gravy chicken dish. It was all so good. I love eating with my hand too! No utensils people. All children would die to eat like the natives do! I was able to talk with lots of the staff people and meet their families, relatives and other children they were associated with. I am so glad that we went! But it was a long day, 8 hours total for a picnic...
Yesterday was mother language day that was made into a national holiday by the UN. So lots of the natives wore white and black and put red flowers in their heads and all over their bodies. Most people walk barefoot to the monuments that are erected for their language. You see another country only wanted their language to be the national language but the natives here fought back. Some soldiers went to the university and killed the protesters. From there this country was an independent country and had its own language. To this day the people are very proud of their heritage and language. My students did a commemoration today in honor of the language by doing a skit while the girls played a song in their language. The program was closed by the singing of the national anthem. What a beautiful and melodious song it is! They did a great job!
In reading class, my students had a chance to do a relay race up and down the hall way stairs to deliver mail to simulate the Pony Express. The kids has a lot of fun with it. It is this type of experience that I want the to have so that they can connect with the stories better. Later in the week we are going to take a look at how to read a map in relation to the Pony Express. I will be making a homemade compass out of a needle, string, magnet and a glass jar. I think they are really going to like the simulation.
In Moral Ed, I am really getting a chance to speak into these children's lives. We are learning about flexibility. Today's lesson was about a quote by Helen Keller. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.” When a situation comes that is difficult, do not focus on the difficulty or yourself but look for the positive in the difficult situation. Learning to have an optimistic attitude can cause one to see the other door of happiness that has been open and then you can move on with your life. Being flexible is adapting to different situations around you no matter the circumstance.
A prayer request that I have is that most people in the country from the time they are little, they are taught to lie if it helps them. In class many of the students will cheat and have someone give them the answer so that they can get a good grade without truly understanding the concept. I am having a difficult time understanding why they are always doing this. I guess it is the spirit of betterment and self preservation. Please pray that I can encourage them to do their best not someone else's best.
This is a long post but such good things are happening that I want to share them all with you. I pray that this blog finds you well! Please keep praying for my students, the staff and my cooperating teacher and I so that we give these children the education that they need so that they may go into the world and speak truth!


2 comments:

  1. wow Rachel! This is awesome. What a wonderful experience you are having : ) We continue to pray for you often. Thanks so much for being there and doing that. ~ Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying your blog, it has been informative and very interesting. You describe thing very well. I had that quote from Helen Keller on my mirror for a long time. We are praying for you, Michael and I and our study group. I am going to share your blog with them. Love and Blessings, Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete