What a Class!!!

What a Class!!!
Some Cuties!

Welcome!

I hope that you will enjoy the site, as I take you on a journey with me to the ends of the earth.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Wedding

I was invited to a wedding this last weekend. I was very excited to attend because I havent attended one yet. I woke up really early on friday morning to get ready. The wedding was to take place after church. I was very excited to wear my Sari. I had been waiting for an opprotunity to wear one and here it was! I woke up 2 hours before it was time to leave for the church. I got everything put into place and now I was working on the pleets near my chest. This took the longest to complete. It took so long that I had to give up and just wear a Salwar-Chamise. There was no one to help me to put it on and I didnt want a fiasco with the Sari. I was glad that I didnt wear it because we ended up walking to the church and it would have been a pain to walk so far in a Sari. I was sweating like a pig when I arrived and there were only fans, no air conditioners. It was so hot! I had no clue what was going on during the survice because I dont speak their language. :) But after and hour and a half of singing and preaching, church was over and we all filed outside. They surved a snack to the congregation. I was so glad that they fed us something small because my tummy was rumbling and we would not eat for quite some time later. The wedding was supposed to start at 11 and it was 15 till. But, the wedding didnt start until almost noon. Typical lol! So we chated for a while until the wedding began. There werent any decorations (which is not usual, this marriage was for a poorer family). The bride was decorated nicely with a Sari, a vail, Henna all over her feet and hands with gold paint outlining the Henna, then she had gold paint over her eyebrows. There was a sermon and exchanging the rings. The bride never once looked up. She was very timid. This was an arranged wedding. They only had met briefly before when the parents were evaluating the other. I cant imagine what was going through either of their heads. I would be thinking, what am I getting myself into? I cant imagine getting married to someone I dont know and then have to live with family members becuase it is customary. Anyway, the only time she looked at him was to put a lai of flowers over his head and he to her as well. The flowers were orange, red, and yellow. They were beautiful. Of course it clashed with the bride (who wore red, gold, and green) because the more colors the better... lol... After the wedding we headed back to my building where the reception was held. There was a huge tent that was very colorful. The bride and groom were set in the front of the house. People who wanted to congratulate them would feed the bride and groom sweets. Literally feed them :) it was cool. Then we were hearded to go eat. The feast consisted of rice, two type of chicken, boiled eggs and veggie curry with shrimp! It was nice and spicy! They literally fed about a 100 or more people. They had huge pots over a makeshift fire outside. It was awesome! It was so hot and I needed to rest. I decided with a full belly to take a nap. The wedding was fun and lots of good food! The people hear said that the wedding was way more simple than usual. But since they didnt have a lot of money, they focused on feeding people. Feeding people is the most important thing to do. It is an honor to serve people!

I have 4 days left and I will be home soon! Keep us all in your prayers please and I will see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment