What a Class!!!

What a Class!!!
Some Cuties!

Welcome!

I hope that you will enjoy the site, as I take you on a journey with me to the ends of the earth.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Shobo Nobo Borsho

Happy New Year. Last Wednesday was the New Year and it was a blast. I relaxed most of the day. I was invited by some girls ( a language student, and a second grade teacher from WCA) in my building to visit one of the librarians at school. I knew of the librarian and thought that it would be really fun to go and visit her at her home. Her children also attend the school, grade 5 and 2. On the new year most people wear red and white, I didn't have any lol. We hailed a baby taxi around 2:30 in the afternoon. Lots of people were coming back from DC Hill where the nationals go to celebrate the new year (it wouldn't be safe for foreigners to go). It was a sea of red and white that lined the streets. Whole families would dress a like... kind of reminded me of when families in the church get matching Christmas sweaters :) and take pictures. Anyway I saw lots of Saris, punjabies and shalwar chamises. They were all dressed very nicely. I even saw some more traditional dress, with bright heavy makeup, jewelry in their hair and around their neck and wrists. These women usually have loads of flowers adorning their head to keep their hair all knotted in a bun. They looked like painted dolls. Finally we arrived to the house. It was a small two roomed house with tiny kitchen. She welcomed us into her home with open arms. Her two beautiful daughters were there as well, they were timid to see some of their teachers at their house (two rooms, one for the living room and the other for sleeping) These nationals all usually sleep together in the same room. They did eventually warm up to us once they got to know us as aunties rather than their teacher. It was a hot day and luckily the fan was running and they gave us cold water. Although we had already eaten lunch, the mother insisted that we eat what they had for lunch. It was vegetable mush (a specialty during this holiday) with rice. It was quite good actually, very flavorful. I ate a little to please her :) We were all so delighted to be hosted by the librarian. We sat on plastic chairs and two cushioned chairs. There wasn't much room but it suited the small group quite comfortably. When we finished, they brought out more cold water. They also brought a pitcher of water so that we could wash our eating hand (they don't use cutlery). Then the father of the librarian came out and brought sweet fried things (they are like a thin pastry in the shape of a flower and deep fried. They were so good ( I ate four). Then they brought out some specialty snacks for the new year. I didn't much care for these because they were like balls of hard packed sand (really just rice flower packed) that had a hint of black licorice (I am not fond of either). I bit off a hard chunk and then took a gulp of water and swallowed it hole (I had to repeat this process several times before I finished the snack) I didn't feel so good after that. Every thing else was wonderful. They also showed us some video's on their computer of their girls on a TV program. It was wonderful. She also feed us Cha with is homemade tea with milk and sugar. It was the best Cha I have tried! Then the oldest girl took down her harmonium and played a song. She sang as well with the piece. It was beautiful! What an amazing gift she has. By the time we realized what time it actually was, it was about 5 o clock. It was such a good time that we lost track. The whole family was so hospitable! I love it! I thank God for allowing me to do what I have wanted to do and that was going and visiting. God knows the desires of our heart and if we wait and be patient, he will eventually grant us the desires of our hearts! I hope this has shown you how hospitable and loving these people are. It is a blessing to be so blessed with food and good company! Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment